blogspot counter

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tea Leaf Tales: Toy Typewriter



Last week we had company visiting us and took in a healthy dose of local tourism and fun shopping in the sorts of stores where you don’t realize you need something until you’re inside. I have a love of vintage and antique shops; the adventure of finding treasure hidden in the chaotic ramble is a pleasant challenge.

In one such store, I happened upon this remarkable mint green toy typewriter, and as a writer, I couldn’t resist. After begging for paper from the manager, I typed a few lines from the scene I’ve been working on in my recent novel. The keys stuck badly, and the ink started out sketchy but darkened with each word. When I finished a few sentences, I reread my work. Amid numerous typos were sprinkles of words I hadn’t typed, nor had even thought: verdant; spearmint: lush; fresh; dewy; pastoral; bucolic. My fierce dragon battle took place in an idyllic forest glade.

My sister-in-law noticed my surprise and told me there had been a red toy typewritter in the previous store. Although I haven’t had a chance to make a return trip yet, I’m certainly eager, wondering whether my dragons will end up dueling in an apple orchard, swinging from red licorice laces with breath fiery from red hots, or in a demonic underworld with flowing rivers of magma—the choices are almost too exciting for my imagination!


Tea Leaf Tales is a series of original ten-sentence short stories by Marsha A. Moore, relating to photos/scenes that resonate with her.
~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. Read her ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS for adventurous epic fantasy romance: Book One, SEEKING A SCRIBE, Book Two, HERITAGE AVENGED, Book Three, LOST VOLUMES, and Book Four, STAUROLITE. For a FREE ebook download, read her historic fantasy, LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE, available at Amazon and Smashwords.

2 comments:

Rosalie Skinner said...

What a wonderful idea for a novel... when the type writer takes over and tells the story.
Love these Tea leaf tales.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Hi Rosalie! What writer wouldn't like to try such a typewriter?