blogspot counter

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tea Leaf Tales: No popcorn for this Viking shield maiden


The season for the History Channel TV show is over, and I’ll admit I could use a breather. Although I loved every episode, it was becoming increasingly difficult to enjoy my ritual of popcorn while watching. The plot, as well as the characters and weather, grew darker and darker, bloodier and bloodier—a deadly plague, adultery, hedonism, human sacrifice. The latter, with blood draining into a collection bowl, caused my stomach to regret my choice for a snack.

Other fans don’t seem to welcome the respite as I do. Noticing this sign, some apparently have embodied the show’s spirit, determined to carry the banner, yield sword and shield.

Despite my squeamishness, I’m still enthralled with Viking lore and investigated the proclaimed fate of intruders to this dwelling. The ribs of the victim will be cut along the spine, separating the bones in such a way that they poke out through his or her back to give an illusion of a bloody eagle’s wings. Definitely not a popcorn moment.

But…I still dream of being a shield maiden and come season two, I’ll be back for more, sans popcorn.


Tea Leaf Tales is a series of original ten-sentence short stories by Marsha A. Moore, relating to photos/scenes that resonate with her.
~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. Read her ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS for adventurous epic fantasy romance: Book One, SEEKING A SCRIBE, Book Two, HERITAGE AVENGED, Book Three, LOST VOLUMES, and Book Four, STAUROLITE. For a FREE ebook download, read her historic fantasy, LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE, available at Amazon and Smashwords.

3 comments:

Meg said...

Ewwwww! kinda glad I missed that one. Think I'll take a breather myself. I loved the beginning, but isn't it true that some of these shows, including Hell on Wheels and Walking Dead, just keep getting darker?? WHY?

Is that really entertaining? I'll stick to writing my HFN book endings.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Just a scene or two of happy times would be nice for some balance. Thanks for stopping by, Meg.

Judith said...

Have to agree with you. The final show for Vikings was almost too much of a downer for me. I love myths, especially Greek and Norse, but the show really pushed the limit. Loved it, but glad it's over for the summer.