blogspot counter

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tea Leaf Tales: Siamese Surveillance

“Skat!” I call out, but they don’t move, so I engage the leader in my best beady-eyed stare down.

She casually blinks one eye as if to say, “I’m in charge here, far too important for your petty games, and you don’t frighten even one hair of my splendid fur coat.”

Last week, I gave up after this feline trio gnawed my ankles when I attempted to pass them on the stairs leading toward the attic. 

Although I don’t know what’s in that attic, recent bursts of warm weather have encouraged me to try my spring cleaning again since I’m sure I won’t want to be cooped up in a swealtering room during the summer. Shouldering my responsibility, I formed a plan to get on the good side of the terrifying trio and left bowls of milk and tins of tuna, which the cats lapped clean each day this week.

Following the head cat’s lead, I pretend they don’t bother me and place a foot on the stair tread she’s guarding.

The old oak boards creak wildly, and she hisses at me, but I continue, lifting my other foot onto the step where the other two wait, anxiously peering around her.

Clear sunshine beams through the leaded glass transom window above, reminding me of my purpose, and I manage to set a foot onto the landing while dragging one of the smaller cats attached to the hem of my worst jeans, which I wore along with old boots as a last resort defense tactic.

With all three clinging with teeth and claws to my lower legs, I teeter to the doorway and awkwardly mash a hip into the jammed door. It gives way with a loud creak from rusted hinges, and I gasp realizing why the cats have steadfastly protected the room.   


Tea Leaf Tales is a series of original ten-sentence short stories by Marsha A. Moore, relating to photos/scenes that resonate with her.

~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. Read her ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS for adventurous epic fantasy romance: Book One, SEEKING A SCRIBE, Book Two, HERITAGE AVENGED, and Book Three, LOST VOLUMES. She has also authored the Ciel's Legacy series, with fast action mermaid/pirate storylines: TEARS ON A TRANQUIL LAKE and TORTUGA TREASURE.  For a FREE ebook download, read her historic fantasy, LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE, available at Amazon and Smashwords.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got me curious now -- WHAT is in that room??!!

Marsha A. Moore said...

The cats will retaliate if I tell! ;)