blogspot counter

Monday, April 16, 2012

Magical Monday: Hungry Monster Plant?


We’ve only lived where we do, in the outskirts of Tampa, for a couple years. It’s still surprises me how it doesn’t take much of a drive to really be ‘out’ and see some odd stuff. Down some gravel roads, I’ve discovered a couple greenhouses and nurseries that offer magical plants. A few I’ve taken home and experimented with, but others are so strange I’m hesitant…like this one in the nursery display bed under an old live oak.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw one of the petals flap, and it was a wickedly humid day without any breeze. Besides, it would have taken a gale to lift a portion of that wide corolla.
What do you think makes this plant magical?

That opening, where all those pistils look so alluring, is wide enough to take in a small animal. Maybe if a toad hops onto the edge of a petal, it will be swept inward and closed by the entire corolla, forming a roof. In the depths of that chamber, the poor toadie would be acted upon by magical biochemicals on the tips of the anxious pistils and transformed into a prince. In order to escape, he breaks apart the entire plant. Stored seeds are released from the torn ovary at the base of the plant, ensuring the magical botanical cycle continues. The prince would probably remain near the patch, not only stunned with his transformation, but also hoping other plants might spit out companions or a lovely princess. (Sorry for the Biology terms, but I spent 17 years teaching that subject, and the scientific words are forever planted in my vocabulary.)

My degree is in Biology, not magic, so I’m left guessing. Do you have a different idea about what makes this plant species magical? If so, please share.
~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. The first of her epic fantasy romance series, ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS, is now available--SEEKING A SCRIBE. She has also authored the Ciel's Legacy series, fantasy romance with fast action mermaid/pirate storylines: TEARS ON A TRANQUIL LAKE and TORTUGA TREASURE.  For a FREE ebook download, read her historic fantasy, LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE, available at Amazon and Smashwords.

4 comments:

Sharon Hamilton said...

Being an organic gardener for over 40 years, I'm always stunned when I run across a plant I didn't know about. Wow. You got me today.

Interesting too that the plant makes itself attractive, both sight-wise and perfume-wise, to be able to capture and eat.

Hmmm... like in a good romance?

Marsha A. Moore said...

Lure, capture, and eat...sounds like a romance to me, Sharon! Thanks for dropping by.

Sara Durham Writer ~ Author said...

Hi Marsha,

It's been a long while since I've been over to Magical Monday. What a 'very' interesting looking plant, and it does look like it could devour anything that stumbled into it's folds. I love your topics, keep em coming:)

Sara

Marsha A. Moore said...

Sara, it does look dangerous! I agree. Thanks for stopping in.