blogspot counter

Monday, March 12, 2012

Magical Monday: Strange, gnarly roots—what magic will grow from them?

I spent most of last week gardening. Our yard and patios look great. Although my fingers are very stiff on the keyboard, I wanted to share an odd magical finding. In one of the many garden centers I visited, I found a box with these gnarly roots. The label said, “Magical Roots.” Nothing more. I asked the clerk, and she just shrugged. I can’t determine any faces on the tubers, so I don’t think they’re mandrakes.

Maybe the root will grow into a huge, leafy bush that opens its branches to admit you into its center. Once fully enclosed by the verdant foliage, a portal to a magic garden would open, where all sorts of wondrous adventures and experiences await. 

I’m tempted to plant one and find out what happens. 

What sort of magical plant do you think it will grow into? Share your ideas.


~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. She is the author of the Ciel's Legacy series, fantasy romance with fast action mermaid/pirate storylines: TEARS ON A TRANQUIL LAKE and TORTUGA TREASURE. Look for her first of an epic fantasy romance series, SEEKING A SCRIBE: ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS ONE, to be available March, 2012. For a FREE ebook download, read her historic fantasy, LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE, available at Amazon and Smashwords.

6 comments:

Tanja said...

I know what they are! You know how they make linen from flax? Well, you soak these roots and then when they are saturated, you can remove the fibres and weave them them into a cloak of invisibility.

Unknown said...

What ever kind of roots they are, you were meant to find them. Maybe if you plant one, something/someone from your past that has been torn from you will return :) Personally, I wouldn't mind a root that when planted grew a money bush, or a bush that grew ideas on it.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Love both ideas!

Tanja--an invisibility cloak would be very fun! Magical fibers! Great idea.

Siv Maria--all terrific possibilities! I hope the money bush would only be useful for its owner. Otherwise, you'd have a yardful of people all the time...and no grass left!

Lindsay said...

Whatever they are, you are bound to plant them. The pleasure is NOT knowing.

Pat Dale said...

If I'm not mistaken, my grandma called those roots sassafras and a magical tea was brewed from them. I think they were outlawed because of their magical properties. I only know I loved the flavor of the tea, and it's probably why I'm now an old Irish storyteller.
Pat Dale

Marsha A. Moore said...

Lindsay, so true--the fun is in the not knowing, the element of surprise!

Pat, you and me both! I loved sassafras tea growing up.