blogspot counter

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Blogfest—Heroines With Heart!—My First Adult Read

(To find my J.C. Martin Blogoversary Blogfest entry, please scroll down to the next post.)

I’m helping Heroines With Hearts celebrate passing their 100th follower mark! Congrats on that achievement, ladies!

In this blogfest, participants are to fess up on the first adult book they picked up and read, whether a classic, a racy novel, or that of unusual content.

~ ~ ~

My first adult read was actually an assignment in my 7th grade English class—The Pearl by John Steinbeck (1947). I was so impressed at how he captured such intense, raw emotions so succinctly, I immediately devoured more by the author, The Grapes of Wrath (1939) and Of Mice and Men (1937).

I didn’t realize at the time this teacher was extraordinary. She also taught social studies and I thought nothing of it when asked to do a project comparing and contrasting the development of communism in Soviet and Chinese leadership. My parents scratched their heads a few times, but I was an eager mind and jumped right in.


From my reading that year, I was hooked and wanted to learn more about American authors from the Depression era and before. This led me on a life-changing journey to become an English minor in college, diving into a year-long adventure in American literature and other special interest courses, like the World of F. Scott Fitzgerald. I would never have become a writer without those wonderful college years exploring and writing about the classics, and it all started with my first adult read…assigned by a much-loved, but very strict junior high school English teacher.

To find out about the first adult reads of other blogfesters, clink on the picture below to find a list of their blog links.


~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. She is the author of the novel, TEARS ON A TRANQUIL LAKE, the first in a trilogy. Part two, TORTUGA TREASURE is contracted for release in January, 2012. Look for her first of an epic fantasy romance series, SEEKING A SCRIBE: ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGEND ONE, to be available late autumn.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great books, the only one I haven't read is The Pearl, I've read the other 2 and thought they were amazing. :O)

Marsha A. Moore said...

Yes, they were...a great place for a 13 yr old to begin a love of literature. Thanks for stopping by, Madeleine!

Paula Martin said...

I was at school in the 1950's when any post-1900 literature wasn't considered "suitable" thus we read Dickens, the Brontes, Elizabeth Gaskell and Jane Austen. It took me a long time to catch up with 20th century writers. You were lucky to have a teacher who introduced you to the more modern classics.
Thanks for taking part in our HWH Blogfest!

Debra St. John said...

I had some really great teachers in high school as well that introduced me to fabulous literature.

Still, there's something different about reading an 'assigned' book and one you've chosen.

dolorah said...

I loved Of Mice and Men. John Steinbeck was my favorite author during my HS english classes.

........dhole

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Being an avaricious book worm I devoured the damn things like sweeties. Forever raiding bookshelves at home and in aunts/uncles houses and friends of the family JS's books were begged and read. And, like all old books, the writing was second to none. Not only descriptive and atmospheric the sort of writing that breathes life to the pages. ;)

Good choice!

best
F

AnaMorganAuthor said...

I read The Pearl in school. It was amazing. I loved to read (aka. escape). Good books like The Pearl were the easiest to get lost in.

Amy said...

Great choices! I haven't read them, but they are definitely being added to my TBR list!

Love your blog! :)

Sylvia Ney said...

I didn't read any of these until high school, and absolutely LOVE Gatsby (of course, the fact Robert Redford plays him in the movie helps;-)

JENNIFER WILCK said...

I have to say I was not a big John Steinbeck fan--very depressing, in my opinion. But he's a wonderful writer and I'd probably enjoy him a lot more as an adult. Maybe I'll try it again.

Sarah Allan said...

I haven't read a lot of Steinbeck's work, but I remember having to read Of Mice and Men in school and liking it. I should probably pick up more of his books. Thank God for the Kindle! Just stopping by to say hi from the blogfest!

Marsha A. Moore said...

@Paula -- I understand from a different view. In college, the curriculum stopped at 1950. I didn't have much time to explore newer classics.

@Debra -- Yes, it was more of an adventure reading his other titles on my own.

@Donna -- Wonderful book!

@Francine -- I read everything in sight for at least twenty years. Wish I had time to do more now.

@Ana -- Easy to get lost in the world of The Pearl!

@Amy - Thanks for the compliment!

@Sylvia -- Love, love, love Fitzgerald!

@Jennifer -- Steinbeck is a bit gritty in his realism. I eventually drifted away for that reason, but still admire his style enormously,

@Sarah -- Thanks for stopping by!

Sunday was too busy for me. Time to catch up and go read everyone's posts! Thank you all for visiting!