blogspot counter

Monday, July 11, 2011

Are demons evil? Find out what my guest, Sarah Gilman, thinks.

Today, I'm excited to give readers a preview of Sarah Gilman's wonderful paranormal romance, Out In Blue, scheduled for release this September.

I bet ninety-nine percent of a random group of people would say yes. After all, they originated in legend, lore, culture, and religion as evil entities. They are evil by standard definition. But as I developed the world which would become the Return to Sanctuary series, my thoughts pulled me in a different direction. I knew demon characters would need to be recognizable as demons—what would be the point of having demons, otherwise?—but what if their nature wasn’t as simple as “evil?” What if, like everything else in the universe, they were more complex?

In my debut novel Out in Blue, book one in the Return to Sanctuary series, many demons have “fallen” to earth, just as archangels have. Neither species have clear memories of their origins. Humanity slaps the expected stereotypes in place, which results in the demonization of both paranormal species. The demons and archangels join forces for survival. 

I’m fascinated by the extreme range of love and brutality the human race exhibits in real life, and I explore those extremes in my writing. In my new series, humanity keeps my archangel and demon characters on their toes: some humans are their worst enemies, some humans are die-hard supporters. Many sit on the fence, minding their own business. And just like humans, the demons and the archangels are complex and capable of anything, from unconditional love to destructive, seething hate. 

I’m not trying to make any religious statements with my writing, but I am inspired by the duel nature of angels and demons, and how those natures reflect us as a species, and reflect nature in general. I hope readers will find an entertaining take on good and evil and in my new series.

Thank you, Marsha, for hosting me today! And thank you, readers, for stopping by!

Out in Blue, blurb:
In a violent world where fallen archangels are hunted for their valuable plumage, Wren knows one thing for certain: the human woman who saved him from a poacher attack will die if she stays with him. The demon responsible for his parents’ gruesome deaths two decades ago pines for the chance to rip apart any woman who stands under Wren’s wing.

Wren doesn’t expect Ginger to stay by his side once she discovers his ability to drain life with a mere touch, yet she lingers. When an unusual talent of her own reveals the location of Wren’s father, Wren’s isolated world implodes. With the help of the demon protectors he’s sworn never to trust again, Wren risks everything to rescue his father, confront the demon who stalks his and Ginger’s every step, and claim his eternity with the most courageous woman he’s ever known.

Be sure to learn more about Sarah and her coming release:
Out in Blue at Entangled Publishing:  
http://www.entangledpublishing.com/out-in-blue/


Share


2 comments:

Jeanne Guzman said...

Awesome interview. See, I knew not all demons were evil.

Louisa Bacio said...

Duality makes for more interesting writing, too. We enjoy reading about complex characters. Otherwise, they're just flat!

Congrats on the new release.