blogspot counter

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Macabre and fantasy, quotes by Edgar Allan Poe and Tracy Hickman inspire me

I had a great time participating last week, so I’m back again for this week’s hop.

Today’s question is: What is your favorite author quote and why?

I can’t pick one, but I did narrow the long list to two.


"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~Edgar Allan Poe

Poe’s quote appeals to me not only because he is one of my favorite authors, but as a fantasy writer I continuously see the world through the eyes of a dreamer. Many, both writers and non-writers, ask me where I get my unusual ideas. My husband often thinks I was dropped on my head as an infant! I see magic in nature everywhere I turn and it would seem very boring if I lost that perspective.



"Don't seek to be published, seek to be read." ~Tracy Hickman

This quote helps me take a deep breath and refocus when the publishing industry overwhelms me. Some days it seems like a chaotic mess, expecting me to be capable of the incapable. Maintaining this perspective on a simple, clear goal helps me disregard the muck and consider what is really important--writing for the enjoyment of readers. On a side note, I hope he'll be at Dragoncon this year since I'm attending.

Please be sure to check the other great posts in today’s blog hop by clicking on the logo below.




Share


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one writes like Edgar Allan Poe. Love his stuff.

Roseanne Dowell said...

Great quotes

Megan Johns said...

Yes, great quote choices

Anonymous said...

I love your perspective on magic, Marsha! Good to see you back.

(Dropped on your head! LOL)

I do like Poe's work, too. Great writer.

Here's my latest blog post! «

Hugs,
Angel
X

Fantasy quotes said...

Excellent compilation about fantasy quotes. I have compiled some quotes from you. Thanks for sharing.