blogspot counter

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Video Saturday: 'H' is for Hippogriff

For today's A to Z blogging challenge I present one of my favorite mythical creatures, the hippogriff. Most think JK Rowling created this beast. Not so! 

The Italian poet Ariosto Atlantis first mentioned said creature in his epic poem "Orlando Furioso." Popular during Medieval times, the animal took shape, fusing a horse's body with wings, beak and claws of the griffin with its half-eagle and half-lion features. 

According to legend, a hippogriff is a hybrid of mating a griffin with a horse. However, this is not likely true since it contradicts the notion that griffins loved to consume horse flesh. Hence the old saying, "I'll do it when horses and griffins mate," better said as probably never. 

How they come to be is a mystery, but wouldn't you love to fly on one! I sure would!

4 comments:

C R Ward said...

Hippogriff's are a long time favourite of mine. Great choice for "H"!

Corinne O said...

You've enlightened me! I did credit JKR with that one. Thanks for the post!

Marsha A. Moore said...

JK actually used a lot of previously lesser known creatures from mythology/legend. I think the tie to old lore is very cool.

Patricia JL said...

I hadn't heard of them before Harry Potter (I highly enjoyed how beautiful they were in the movie too.) Now I know a little more.