blogspot counter

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Harry Potter Blogfest: Trouble I Get into with My Mates at Hogwarts

Hermione Granger, Ginny Weasley, and I ran out of the Gryffindor dorm. The fat lady yelled after us for running in the hall, tipping off Nearly Headless Nick. He delighted in swooping through us, delaying our path. Poor Ginny had to jump off the staircase when it began to move away. Brave girl, she didn’t let out a peep.

In the library, Hermione and I went straight to work, pulling a dozen dusty reference books from shelves. Our plan—outsmart the master of potions, Professor Severus Snape, at his own game. We flipped through volumes, cheering each other on as we found bits of archaic information to concoct the exact potion. Being exemplary students, it was a challenge we relished, to know more than the professor…or at least this professor.

Ginny tried to stay awake, but after a couple hours, she dozed on the library table. Her role was not research, but theft and diversion. Tomorrow, she’d distract Snape while we slipped into his storeroom to secure correct ingredients. 

“Found it!” Hermione let out a hushed cry.

I rushed around the table, peering over the faded page. “That’s it! Thanks to Ginny, we have hair from both. She’s a great thief, pulling strands off their robes last week.”

Ginny’s eyes flashed open and she smiled.

“I think we need to alter one step though.” I pointed to another book. “…to speed the effects, so we can see results happening in class. Wouldn’t be fun otherwise. Add a dried newt, just as the mixture boils, to partially volatilize.” 

“Perfect! That way it will vaporize faster.” 

“I’ll sneak a bottle of the potion into class, under my robes, and when we’re preparing our cauldrons, add the contents and quickly start our fire.”

“And the rising vapors will cause Snape to see no one except Malfoy.”

“What’s so odd about that?” Ginny murmured from under her hair. 

“He’ll be furious with Malfoy, tearing him apart for the smallest errors,” Hermione explained. “We’ll all get a good laugh…or get in lots of trouble.”

After one look between us, we got busy, eagerly taking notes.
*************************************************

26 comments:

BarbaraB said...

Marsh, J. K. should add you as a character and write another book.

Rochelle Weber Author said...

I didn't know you were a Potterhead! How wonderful! Is this a speeded-up version of Polyjuice potion?
I was on the Wizzengammot [sp?] at MARCon in Columbus, Ohio, before "The Deathly Hallows" came out and we tried Snape for the murder of Albus Dumbledore. I won't tell you how the trial came out in case someone reading this hasn't read the book, because it turns out we were right. ;-) I also adore Luna Lovegood. She may seem flighty, but she can be awfully direct as well.

Unknown said...

I could never get my boys into these books and as a result never ended up reading them myself. I saw the first 3 movies and that was it. I really need to go back and read them and watch the other movies! They were always so much fun and I loved the characters.

I think I read somewhere that Rowling came up with the idea of this series on a train. Guess that just proves that inspiration can strike anywhere!

Oh - on a side note, I have to tell you...I have a nephew that named his daughter Hermione. I had to tell my parents how to pronounce it. LOL

Viviane Brentanos said...

Ok - I am weird. I am in love with Prof. Snape

Rachel Firasek said...

This is so awesome! I love who you picked for the characters. They are my faves. lol. Great job!

Wendy said...

Marsha JK Moore,
Wow. That is a great library scene. You didn't do that off the top of your head.

Margo Benson said...

A fab trio and such a great scene - loved it!

Marsha A. Moore said...

@BarbaraB--I'd LOVE to be a character in the series!

@Rochelle--That sounds so fun! Would have loved to been part of that.

@Laura--I raised my stepkids and when the Potter books were out, they were in high school and not interested... but I sure was!

@Viv--Not weird at all! I think Snape is the coolest character. I would have picked him, but our assignment was to hang out with classmates.

@Rachel--I adore Hermione. We'd be best buds for sure.

@Wendy--I did do this off the top of my head. My mind operates in a whirl of weird magic most of the time. It's reality that confounds me!

@Margo--Thanks lots!

Laurel Garver said...

I love these two also. A fun story of stealth and smarts!

Hart Johnson said...

Ha! Nice to mix the brains and the mischief! I like it a lot! And plans to trick Snape and Malfoy are always a win!

Heather M. Gardner said...

I bet these three can get away with anything!
Great job.
HMG

Marsha A. Moore said...

I do love Snape and Malfoy, enough to really want to give them a run for their money. My trio could just do that! Thanks for stopping, Heather, Hart, and Laurel!

Unknown said...

Sounds like great fun! I hope they succeeded in concocting that potion!

N. R. Williams said...

That's great. Snape can only see Malfoy...LOL.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thanks for visiting, Rachel and Nancy. I'm certain that trio could concoct the potion, but fooling Snape...that's the hard part. But, meeting the challenge is the fun part!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Talk about jumping right into the action! Well done, Marsha.

I really enjoyed the scene you created here. So far only you and Roland created an actual scene besides me. There might be one or two others, that I haven't gotten to yet.

It looks like you had tons of fun with this, I've seen your comments on many posts. Thanks for joining in on the fun. I'm having a great time reading all the entries.

Michael, your host.

Susan Fobes said...

I was tempted to go with an all-girl group too, and I really enjoyed your story...

Jeanmarie Anaya said...

Oh, Marsha--these characters are my personal favorites. (I really only chose Neville and Luna for my own entry because they're such wackos that they're easier to write about. LOL). You definitely did Ginny and Hermione justice here. Great job!

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thank you lots, Bess, Susan, and Michael! I did have lots of fun with this blogfest.

Marsha A. Moore said...

I had fun writing this one! I'm very glad you enjoyed it, Jeanmarie. Glad to meet you!

Colene Murphy said...

I love those two. You wrote an amazing piece of fiction here! Nice job!

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Oh my gosh!!! I love Ginny and completely forgot about her. Great post, it was so fun to read:)

Tony Benson said...

An entertaining story, and I enjoyed it very much. Well written!

Marsha A. Moore said...

Tony, Lindsay, and Colene--I'm so glad you enjoyed my post.

Nicki Elson said...

That was fun! Love Ginny's role---perfect. :) Sorry to be a day late in making my Potter rounds. Guess I could've used some Newt in my blogging potion to speed me up, eh? ;)

Deniz Bevan said...

I like the way you told yours as a story. With Ginny and Hermione, there's no telling what might happen...