blogspot counter

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Soul mates: Guest post by Maeve Greyson

I'm very excited to have my dear friend Maeve Greyson here today. She's talking about soul mates and the destined love between the hero and heroine in her wonderful new release, Beyond a Highland Whisper.
Do you believe in destined love? Soul mates? Fates intertwined? I know some might think it a bit cliché, but I’m a firm believer in all of the above. So much so in fact, that I usually incorporate that factor in all my stories.
Why do I believe? Maybe it’s because I met my husband only three months before our wedding day and we’ve been married over thirty-one years. We clicked immediately. When we met, it felt more like a reunion with a long lost friend than meeting someone I’d never known. I knew him even though we’d never met. He said it was the same for him. Of course, he put it more eloquently. Something like finding your well-oiled baseball glove that slid perfectly into place. I still haven’t decided if I like being compared to an oily piece of leather. He just grins. His favorite pastime is driving me insane.
But that’s why I believe in destined love and in my story, BEYOND A HIGHLAND WHISPER, Nessa’s destined love for Latharn holds the key to breaking his curse. Here’s a bit of the story for your enjoyment:

Latharn & Nessa’s first “real” kiss:

Nessa remained motionless under the table, afraid something would fall on her head. She just knew the building must be about ready to collapse from the violent attack it had just endured. Strong hands closed around her arms, and lifted her from the rubble. Opening her eyes, she found herself staring into a set of deep green eyes she’d only seen before in her dreams.

As he tenderly stroked the curve of her cheek, Latharn groaned with satisfaction. “’Tis about time ye said the words for me, lass. I’d begun to think I’d never be free of that hell.”

Nessa’s jaw dropped to her chest, her lips moved but no words came out. Speechless, she stared up into his face. She’d never imagined how his voice would sound. His deep Scot’s burr, the way his words rolled off his tongue—the sound set fire to her blood. The richness of his voice stroked her body, making her ache for more. Running her fingertips across the stubbled whiskers of his jaw, Nessa finally whispered, “It’s really you.”

Latharn lowered his mouth to hers. He savored his first true taste of her lips. When her trembling hands slid up his chest, his heart swelled to near bursting. He deepened his kiss of possession. He tightened his embrace. He’d waited for this moment for centuries. To hold her, the one woman he ever loved, to feel her breathless against his chest.

The one way he’d maintained his sanity all these years was by searching for her with his mind. He’d used his powers. He’d traveled the mists until he’d finally located her soul in the energy of eternity. Once she was born, he’d waited for her to become a woman so he could be with her in her dreams. He’d watched Nessa since her soul first came into being now at last, he held her in his arms.

Latharn raised his head and smiled down into her eyes. “I’ve waited for centuries to hold ye like this. Now that I have ye, I’ll never let you go.”

Beyond a Highland Whisper – available February 18th from The Wild Rose Press.
Which will triumph? The vengeful wrath of a cruel witch or a love spanning across time?
The last time Latharn MacKay walked among his kinsman was in Scotland of 1410.  Sensuous and charismatic, all the women wanted him, but none captured his heart.  Latharn's charm became his curse when a wicked sorceress didn’t accept his rejection.  She snared his soul into a crystal globe until the one woman destined to be his love whispers his release.  Now all Latharn has to do is find her and convince Nessa to break the curse without speaking a word to tell her how.

One of the youngest archeologists in St Louis of 2010, Nessa credits one thing for this achievement: the recurring dream of a heart-stopping Highlander since the summer she turned eighteen years old.  Little does she know, he's not some fantasy cooked up by her subconscious.  He’s a trapped soul determined for Nessa to end his six centuries in hell. Can love prevail over the dark magic of a woman scorned?

 

For more about Maeve and her books:



And guess what? Maeve’s paranormal romance, ETERNITY’S MARK made it to the final round of Kensington Brava & RT Book Reviews Writing with the Stars contest.  If you’d like to show Maeve a little love and cast your vote for a smokin’ hot love scene from Eternity’s Mark –please follow the link below, scroll down and look to the left.  You’ll see the Writing with the Stars block that will take you to the voting link for the final round. Thank you EVER so much!
And thank you so much, Marsha for having me on your blog! I really enjoyed my visit to your cyber home.

25 comments:

Maeve Greyson said...

Just wanted to pop in before I left for the day job and tell everyone Hi! I'll be peeping at the blog throughout the day but might not be able to comment until I get home. You never know how the server is going to cooperate at work. Thanks again, Marsha, for having me here today! I appreciate you! :-)

Ana Kenley said...

Maeve,

I do believe in soul mates...my husband and I dated a long time before we got married...but the moment we met, it was just different. We clicked, but it was more than that. Like we'd known each other forever.

Sherry Gloag said...

Yes I believe in soul mates too. Iloved your blog Maeve and the excerpt.

mjmuse said...

I believe in soul mates-and possibly more than one. Just wanted to let you know I voted for you. :)

Rachel Firasek said...

Mauve, you know I absolutely believe in Soul Mates. I'm living with mine. I can't wait to read this story. Vengeful witches-my fave.

Rachel Firasek

Sarah Grimm said...

I've always believed in soul mates. Even when I was a little girl. I drove my sister crazy with stories of destiny and happily-ever-after. :)

Marsha A. Moore said...

Lots of early birds at my blog today!

I love the idea of soul mates, a deep love that compels people to endure hardships. Great post, Maeve!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maeve:) I had a similar experience with mine! From the moment I saw him, I 'knew' we were going to be together....and it's been 15 wonderful years:)

Kenzie Michaels

Ciara said...

I'm already a follower of Maeve, voted for Eternity's Mark, and excited about her new release. Good luck in the final round!

Joanne Stewart said...

I don't use this stuff in my writing, because I tend to be very much a contemporary writer, but I am definitely a believer in Fate and soul mates. Your description of when you met your husband--I am the same one the first time I went out with my husband. I remember standing there, in the parking of a pub we'd gone to (there was a live local band playing there that night), staring up at him, knowing that he would be someone special to me some day. We clicked instantly, and it was just like you described, like I'd known him forever. He wasn't a stranger to me. I've met other people like this in my life, who felt like I'd known them before, who felt familiar to me the first time I met them.

Another great post, Maeve. I voted for Eternity's Mark and I am currently reading Latharn and Nessa (and loving it). :)

Shawna Thomas said...

Hi Maeve!

I love this post! My significant other and I knew right away too. We're only waiting to take the "I do" plunge for the sake of our families. It was just like you described: A reunion of two people who hadn't seen each other in a while.

Love the exerpt too!!!! I can't wait to read this one.

Debra Sanders said...

I believe in soul mates and so much more. How else does one explain the "instant" like or dislike of a stranger? I attribute it to souls meeting who have experienced each other in past lives. One of my favorite movies is "Dead Again" with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. Very clever movie.

I love soul mates as a theme to any novel. Great post!

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Congrats on this release! And on your soul mate marriage! I've got one myself so I know what you mean.

Rachel Lynne said...

Hi Maeve! That excerpt brought chill bumps!! I can't wait to sit down and lose myself in Beyond a Highland Whisper!
I believe in soul mates but my story is a bit different. I was coming off of a bad relationship of two years and it was the night before I was leaving VA to go back to OH. Friends wanted a last hurrah so I went out but didn't drink since I was facing an 8 hour drive the next morning. They all got blistered and wandered off so I stood listening to the band and watching the drunks. One friend introduced me to a guy her boyfriend knew. He was obviously older than me (turns out 13 yrs older), about 3 inches shorter, and usually not my stupid 23 yr old type but he wasn't drunk so we talked and found out we had a lot in common. Thus began the friendship that eventually turned into a romance that hasn't stopped in 14 yrs :). I love my husband, he is my very best friend and that is what I tell all my disappointed in love friends; find and marry your best friend. Passion fades, bills pile up, life gets messy, but your friend will always be there.
Great post lady, enjoyed it!

Mary Ricksen said...

I do believe in soul mates. I am destined to carry this DH throughout the ages as I get reincarnated. I hope he has a better mother in the next life. One who teaches him how to clean up after himself!

Calisa Rhose said...

I do believe. My hubby and I were a lot like you and yours Maeve. We met on July 11th, '83 and wed on Sept 6, '83, just 58 days later. This Sept will be 28 years for us. (I just love perpetual calendars for accuracy!) Can't wait to read my copy of this book!!! And I already voted on the scene long ago. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Maeve!

Yes, Im a big believer in soul mates too! Love the sound of this new book and Im adding it to my TBB list!

Voted, and still keeping my fingers crossed for you in the Contest!

hugs, Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

Nina Pierce said...

The excerpt is wonderful Maeve. I completely believe in soul mates. I've been with mine for 35 years!

Fiona McGier said...

Husband and I both knew when we met, that it was special. Since then, he's claimed we had been lovers during many lives before. I used to tell him, "I want to be the man the next time, so I can be the one falling asleep watching late night TV, while the little woman is caring for the kids, doing laundry, washing dishes, etc etc." He frowned at me once and said, "I was a very good woman the LAST time, that's why I got to be the man THIS time!"
Interesting subject. I wasn't ever going to marry...I was having too much fun being single. He changed my mind, and in 30 years I've never regretted it.

Maeve Greyson said...

LOL! So many wonderful comments! I'm sorry I couldn't respond earlier but I had to put in my time at the day job. The server at work allowed me to "see" but not "speak" to all of you. I guess you could say I "virtually" had my mouth taped shut! ;-)

But I've read each and every one of these comments and enjoyed them all. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who believes in destined love and soul mates.

Thanks so very much for stopping by! :-)

Kristal Lee said...

Hi Maeve,
I've never given much thought to soul mates, but the first time I saw the man who become my husband I "knew" that he would be a very special part of my life.

Congrats on your new release and for Eternity's Mark for making it to the final round!

Maeve Greyson said...

Hi Kristal! Yep. Isn't it neat how you just "knew"? Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words. :-)

Anonymous said...

As a romance writer, I have to believe in soul mates. In real life, I think sometimes too many miss their soul mate by continuing to search or settling for something less than they deserve. But once in a while, when the stars are right and all is well in our world, we find him, he finds us and Bam.

Renee Vincent said...

Just voted for you Maeve! Wonderful love scene btw! *cowering behind the computer screen* I'm sorry I'm so late for the party here...I had this saved in my inbox so I could come back to it.
Better late than never, right?

All the best to you, hon!

teresl said...

replica zara bags replica bags from turkey replica bags prada