blogspot counter

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday - January 2nd

This year's first Six Sentence Sunday snippet is from a free read short story, Song for the Silver Merman, which I'll post on my website this week. This story is an "extra" from my book, Tears on a Tranquil Lake, releasing February 1st. It gives a taste of the main characters, the setting, and action of that book as well as introducing a few new characters which will turn up in a sequel I'm presently writing.

In this sample, Ciel, a mermaid, is led to her merman lover, Meris, by his pet fish, Albio.




****

     With a powerful stroke of my flipper, I sped along, keeping the little fish in sight as he ascended along a rocky outcropping. What was he leading me to?

     I poked my head above the surface and found Meris sitting on one side of the large rock mass, his emerald tail fins spread wide, glinting in the sunlight. With a smile covering my face, I treaded water a few moments, looking up and savoring the view--the broad muscles of his flipper, the metallic green scales narrowing into a V which dipped low, revealing his toned abs. The skin of his tanned torso begged for my touch, fighting for attention with the dark curls flowing around his broad shoulders.
 
     Next to me, Albio slapped the water with his fin, drawing Meris’s notice and ending my time to quietly admire my merman.
****
Be sure to read the other awesome entries for this Sunday at: http://sixsunday.blogspot.com/

20 comments:

Jessica E. Subject said...

A great description! :)

Lisa Fox said...

What a beautiful scene!

Liz said...

I love this! And the cover is great too!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the descriptions and the pictures are gorgeous, including the cover.

Sarah Grimm said...

Love, love, love this! I'll have to check it out.

Jayel Kaye said...

The pic is stunning and your description very beautiful

D Carney said...

Girl, I was admiring him too. ;)

Taryn Kincaid said...

Great scene. Love the accompanying picture. And the cover is terrific.

Ann Mayburn said...

What a fantastic visual of the merman. For some reason I pictured Albio as Nemo. ;)

Unknown said...

You have such a way with description! I have to read this story. It sounds so lovely.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Albio does get in plenty of trouble, kind of like Nemo. But, Ciel enjoys the attentions of her merman and a pirate captain a bit too much to be compared to Ariel. ;)

Unknown said...

Ann! Me too. This is very vivid Marsha. Great description.

Emily Cale said...

Great scene. I love the description.

Lex Valentine said...

As Dee knows, I love mermen! This is great!

Rebecca Royce said...

WOW, love that!!

Anonymous said...

You really dragged me in! I want more please.

Sandra Sookoo said...

great description! :-)

Hailey Edwards said...

Vivid detail. Mermen should be admired. ;)

Sara Brookes said...

Beautifully descriptive - loved it.

Pip Green said...

Loved it, and the artwork too. :)