blogspot counter

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Interview with author Roseanne Dowell



Today, I have the wonderful opportunity to share an interview I conducted with Roseanne Dowell, a fellow Muse Publishing author.

1. Tell us a bit about your latest book, and what inspired you to write such a story.

Hi, Marsha, first off, thank you for having me here. My latest book, Designed by Destiny just came out Aug. 5th. In a nutshell - From a chance meeting at the airport to Florida and back to Ohio, Wendy can’t believe the strange circumstances that put her and Bill Johnson together Fate—kismet—whatever it was, it turned Interior Designer, Wendy Seidel’s world upside down.

I believe we had a big snowstorm and they closed the airport, leaving a lot of passengers stranded. Of course my wild imagination took off and hence the story.

2. What was the most difficult or easy aspect of writing this piece?

Actually, this one flowed pretty easy. Sometimes I get an idea and the characters just take over and I run with it. That’s what happened with this one. Probably the most difficult part was editing. We ran into a snag with that. But I presented a compromise and it finally worked out. I was surprised to learn there are only two content edits and one line edit with Red Rose. Most publishing houses edit until both author and editor are satisfied. Which is basically what we ended up doing, so it eventually worked out.

3. What kind of research did you have to do in order to write your new book?

Designed really didn’t require much research. I did contact two Fabric stores regarding different fabrics. One of my books, Double the Trouble, coming out with MuseItUp Publishing in March 2011, I contacted the Chief of Police for the town I used for the book. He was most cooperative and even seemed to enjoy answering my questions. I also contacted several organizations regarding their cemetery and their Executive Director, who also gave me permission to use his name.

4. Who’s your favorite character in your upcoming release?

In Designed by Destiny, my favorite characters are the hero and heroine. Wendy became very special to me while I was writing this story. And of course Bill, well I fell in love with him.

5. What similarities are there between you and any of your characters?

Oh my goodness, I don’t honestly think there are any similarities between Wendy and me. She’s outgoing, independent, career oriented and I’m none of those things.

6. What’s a good writing day like for you?

Often it’s a good writing night. I don’t have a set schedule, but I do write something every day. A good day would be when the story flows, there’s no interruptions, and I can write for as long as I want.

7. Where do you find ideas for stories?

That’s an often asked question. Ideas are everywhere. Like I said with this story, it was a simple announcement on the TV. Sometimes I pick up a newspaper or magazine and get an idea just from looking at a picture. Or an overheard conversation. I got an idea from my husband when he overheard a conversation and repeated it to me. And people watching, that’s one of the most fun.

8. Do you get along with your muse? What do you do to prod her/him along when she/he refuses to inspire you?

Absolutely! Never, ever go against your muse. I learned that a long time ago. There’s no prodding or pushing. I just move on to something else until it comes back.

9. What sort of character is hanging in the back of your mind, that your muse is playing with and trying to tempt you to write into a new work?

Right now there’s a character called Drucella. She’s 5’5 has dark hair, dark eyes, and skinny as a bean. What am I going to do with her? I haven’t a clue. She hasn’t told me yet. There’s also a character called David Scott that is trying to tell me something, but as of yet, he’s not let me know what.

10. If you could meet one character from any literary work, who would it be and what one question would you ask them?

Oh boy! There’s so many. I think I’d most like to meet Scarlett O’Hara. I think I’d ask what the heck was wrong with her for not going after Rhett. LOL

11. What project are you currently writing?

I’m currently working on a couple of things. Revising and expanding something for Muse Publishing, that Lea asked me to expand and I have another called Mansion of Love – working title.

12. Where can I find information about your current novel and how to purchase?

Designed by Destiny is available from Red Rose Publishing at http://redrosepublishing.com/books/

You can visit me at my website www.roseannedowell.com or my blog http://roseannedowellauthor.blogspot.com/

Roseanne, thank you very much for sharing this information.

4 comments:

MuseItUp Publishing said...

Sounds like another great Roseanne Dowell book. Love the title. Where do you find the time to write all these books?

Roseanne Dowell said...

Thanks, Actually the title started out as Designed for Love, but there was another with a similar title, so I had to change it. I like this title much better. Where do I find the time. Many of my books were written several years ago while my husband was on the road (he was a trucker) and the kids were grown. Obviously, I had too much time on my hands and nothing to fill it. So, I started writing and haven't quit yet.

Charlie said...

Great interview. Enjoyed it. Love the characters. I'm glad I'm not the only one with multiple stories burning my brain. If I could write as fast as my muse tries to produce, I'd probably have hundreds of novels written by now. ha. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Hi Roseanne,

Ah, time. I wish I had the time to sit to satisfy my muse. Lovely post. Sounds like another winner to me.
Thanks for sharing.