blogspot counter

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wolves howl, kitties prowl when the Moon is full....

FULL MOON

Full moon
So bright and serene
Keeps me awake.

Letting its stillness
Soak my being
I look up,
Joyfully certain
Moon dust sprinkles
You, too, Love,
Caressing you
This silvery night

~Yldan

I spend a lot of time reading about fairy and folktales of many cultures. While the most well known come from Europe and North America, I have amassed a decent collection of these writings from Russia, Romania, India, Japan, Africa, Australia/New Zealand, and the Caribbean. I collect rare references of folklore because I enjoy seeing the different cultures within stories which originated as oral tradition. Weaving bits of these time-honored tales into my fantasies brings me pleasure to continue their passage.


This writing research for a current work in progress took me to discover interesting lore and fables about the various full moons. I have always been intrigued by the mystique of the full moon, conjuring both fantasy as well as eliciting romance and passion. Those who know me understand my attraction to this symbolism; the genres I blend are exactly those, fantasy and romance/soft erotica.
_____________________________________________________________________________________


Tall nettles cover up, as they have done
These many springs, the rusty harrow, the plough
Long worn out, and the roller made of stone.
Only the elm butt tops the nettles now . . .
This corner of the farmyard I like most,
As well as any bloom upon a flower
I like the dust on the nettles, never lost
Except to prove the sweetness of a shower.

~Edward Thomas


The Buck Moon

The next time the full moon will rise is on July 26th (1:38 GMT). This cycle is given the name Buck Moon because it is in July when new antlers of buck deer push out of their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur. Another name for this lunar event is the Full Thunder Moon, owing to the fact that thunderstorms are most frequent during this month. It is also called the Hay Moon because farmers hold to the rule that grass crops should be sown at this time to insure the hay will dry quickly. Other common names for the July moon include the Crane Moon, the Claiming Moon, Mead Moon, Oak Moon, Wort Moon, Moon of Blood (because of mosquitoes), Blessing Moon, and the Summer Moon.


 Many cultures rely on this moon to mark their celebrations. In Japan, the July moon is the time of the O-Bon, or Festival of Lanterns, a three-day celebration of Buddhist and Shinto beliefs honoring the dead. Homes, tombs, and grave markers are cleaned. Altars and shines are decorated. Gardens are hung with lanterns so the dead may find their ways to join families.  

The Egyptian New Year also occurs in July, as does the Opet Festival, which commemorates the marriage of Isis and Osiris. Their sexual union is supposed to bring good luck to all people. In Rome, the love of Venus and Adonis are celebrated at this time of July’s full moon. 

Correspondences of the July Moon:

Nature Spirits: hobgoblins (small grotesque but friendly brownie-type creatures), faeries of the harvest crops
Herbs: honeysuckle, agrimony, lemon balm, hyssop
Colors: silver, blue-grey
Flowers: lotus, water lily, jasmine
Scents: orris, frankincense
Stones: pearl, moonstone, white agate
Trees: oak, acacia, ash
Animals: crab, turtle, dolphin, whale
Birds: starling, ibis, swallow
Deites: Khepera, Athene, Juno Hel, Holda, Cerridwen, Nephthys, Venus
Power Flow: relaxed energy; preparing; succeeding. Dream-work, divination, and meditation on goals and plans, especially spiritual ones

On Sunday evening be sure to pause and enjoy the simple pleasures of the beauty of the Buck Moon.

Art: Angela Jayne Barnett

Reference: The Months of the Moon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so going to enjoy reading this Marsha, I love reading up on things like this also. At times it can explain why we do things at set times of the year but don't know why...
*bites n kisses*

Marsha A. Moore said...

It is fascinating. The cycles of the planets and our moon have always had tremendous influences on our lives.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

Marsha

Nina Pierce said...

I'm so fascinated how full moons got their names. I tripped upon this information when I was doing research on the "Blue Moon". I had no idea different cultures and beliefs would name them differently depending on their backgrounds.

Marsha A. Moore said...

The lore behind blue moons is fascinating. My current work in progress hinges around concepts and beliefs about the Red Moon of August, which led me on this interesting research adventure.

Thanks for visiting!

Marsha