blogspot counter

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A sexy gift to commemorate my first book contract

It was an incredible moment having my first book, Tears on a Tranquil Lake, accepted for publication by Muse Publishing. It’s difficult to describe that euphoric feeling akin to other amazing firsts throughout life. A fellow author likened it to the experience of having sex for the first time with someone you truly loved. That was a close approximation.

While my mind spun and vibrated at full speed, too fast to grasp any metacognition, happy wishes from family and friends poured over me. That warm fuzzy feeling brought a perceptible thought – I was loved. An extra special thank you goes to my buddies at Savvy Authors for the way they joined together like a flash, participating in a group-hug-Snoopy-dance party. We’ve spent long hours in the semi-silent chat operating room, encouraging each other's editing, or sweating blood in writing workshops.


One of those Savvy pals asked me what I intended to buy myself as a reward/celebration to honor this milestone – tangible thought number two. It was a good idea, but what did I yearn for . . . more sleep, less email, fewer Floridian love bugs attacking my car's finish? Well . . . I've wanted a Nook, but I think Santa would like to bring me that. Then, a few days later while in my favorite plant nursery I found myself, for the third time, standing transfixed, starring wide-eyed and mouth open at their collection of hundreds of orchids. Up north, even in greenhouses, orchids don't thrive, too far outside of their tropical habitat. But these were just spellbinding . . . and expensive, enough to usually make me turn away after wistful glances. At that moment it didn't matter if I was running late to fix dinner – I was determined to select my heart's desire to mark my success.

After a thorough evaluation of form, color, health, and general wow-appeal I purchased a deep purple Vanda epiphyte (aerial, for the non-biologically minded). My new little baby rode home resting comfortably in my back seat. It now hangs in a prime spot on the covered back porch as you can see in my pictures.

Researching the care of orchids I was pleasantly surprised. References called orchids “sexy” plants, the name coming from the Greek word “orchis”which means testicle. I smiled. My first contracted book is cross genre fantasy erotica and my publisher is a wonderful Greek lady, Lea Schizas.

Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Martini Harkert- author said...

this is truely beautiful and well deserved congrats my friend

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thank you, Martini! :) The orchid seems to be loving me and its new home, starting a new blossom shoot. Hopefully, that speaks of what is to come with the book publication.

Unknown said...

It's lovely, but an orchid...really? That's your reward? I was thinking more like a banana split from Dairy Queen, but then of course, the proof would only be on your hips and not hanging on your covered porch for all to enjoy. :)

If you think the contract was reason for joy, wait until you actually hold a print copy of your book in your hands. I likened it to when the doctor placed my newborn across my tummy. And it never changes...every book has brought that same feeling.
Congratulations on being with Muse It Up, and I'm happy to be your teammate there. :)

Cheryl said...

How lovely. That flower is even prettier when you see it with the view of the water.

I love flowers and plants, though my allergies protest.

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming release.

Cheryl

Sam Manty said...

Congratulations - you must be soaring!!!

MuseItUp Publishing said...

The things you learn on blog posts is quite educational. Testicle? hehe

Thank you for the great giggle today.

And I love orchids.

Viviane Brentanos said...

Kalos irthate to the Muse club. Nice to see you on board and congratulations on your release. Love the test...sorry ...orchid.

Viviane Brentanos

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thanks for all the warm thoughts . . . and sharing a giggle about the lovely new testicle!