blogspot counter

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tea Leaf Tales: A Tardy New Moon



Yesterday at dusk, I saw this row of new moons peaking out from behind the edge of a rain cloud.

They whispered among themselves, probably thinking I couldn’t see them. After all, I’m just an ordinary human, and flashes of lightning can cause momentary blindness.

Oblivious to the downpour, I ran out into the yard and glared at them.

They ducked behind the cloud, but I could still hear their skuffle, and a low voice said, “Hang on, bros, ‘cause this wind tonight, it’s a rebel, out of control and taking our cloud on a fast track.”

“How wonderful—I’ve always wanted to see the rest of the world, and now I won’t have to wait until my month comes up,” a higher pitch voice squeaked.

I waved my arms and yelled, “You up there, whoever’s turn is next, will you please, please stop these evening storms? I’d like to see the sun set once this week.”

I continued my barrage until, finally, a slip of a moon, bright yellow against the inky sky, darted out…no, was kicked out by the crescent points of three others. Trembling, he said, “Forgive me, I’m late and new on the job.”


Tea Leaf Tales is a series of original ten-sentence short stories by Marsha A. Moore, relating to photos/scenes that resonate with her.
~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. Read her ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS for adventurous epic fantasy romance: Book One, SEEKING A SCRIBE, Book Two, HERITAGE AVENGED, Book Three, LOST VOLUMES, and Book Four, STAUROLITE. For a FREE ebook download, read her historic fantasy, LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE, available at Amazon and Smashwords.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so poetic, thanks for sharing, Marsha!

Marsha A. Moore said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for stopping by, Damyanti.