blogspot counter

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tea Leaf Tales: Someone left the gate open and it will get out!


“Someone left the gate open and it will get out!” I say, pointing to the snowy path in front of us.

“I’ll close it,” my friend calls over her shoulder as she jogs ahead of me.

“Wait, you’re not opening it right!” I run up and tug on her arm, dragging her coat sleeve past her hand. She’s my best friend, so she doesn’t mind, just gives me one of those looks—the mixed kind with raised eyebrows and the corners of her mouth drawn up into a crooked smile that she’s working hard to keep from taking over her face.

“Okay, show me,” she says and steps back, hands on her hips in mock impatience.

“No, I can’t do it for you because you must have your hands on the gate and close your eyes while walking through,” I reply and motion her to place her mittened hands on the frozen iron next to mine.

She snorts but drags her knit hat over her eyes, and together, we work to pull the heavy gate open as it creaks on rusted hinges.

We shuffle our boots along the slippery concrete until I can close it behind us and announce, “Now, open your eyes and look carefully for the little bits that didn’t escape.”

My friend peels her mittens from the ice-crusted iron, lifts her cap, and her whole face opens—eyes wide, nostrils flaring and sniffing the fresh, green spring air.

 
Tea Leaf Tales is a series of original ten-sentence short stories by Marsha A. Moore, relating to photos/scenes that resonate with her.
~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. Read her ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS for adventurous epic fantasy romance: Book One, SEEKING A SCRIBE, Book Two, HERITAGE AVENGED, and Book Three, LOST VOLUMES. She has also authored the Ciel's Legacy series, with fast action mermaid/pirate storylines: TEARS ON A TRANQUIL LAKE and TORTUGA TREASURE.  For a FREE ebook download, read her historic fantasy, LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE, available at Amazon and Smashwords.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the story! Love the idea! Thanks for posting!

Marsha A. Moore said...

Paula, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I have lots of fun writing these. Thanks again!

Rosalie Skinner said...

Great.. These are wonderful Marsha. I really enjoy your ten sentence stories.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thanks lots, Rosalie! They are fun to do.