blogspot counter

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tea Leaf Tales: A Desperate Tree

While walking in a local park last weekend, I came upon this resident in a desperate situation. By his plea, he was obviously far from home, a victim of evolution. His embryo must have been carried in a winged seed or transported by a well-fed bird that promptly eliminated the germinal tree upon arrival after a long flight.

I stood gazing at the tree, considering what I might to do help his loved ones. As I mentally ticked through the rainforest charities and green alternatives I knew, my eyes traced the fissures and peeled patches of his thin bark. He was a birch! While not an expert on rainforest species, I was fairly sure that birches didn’t exist in the tropics. I narrowed my eyes at the imposter and declared, “You moocher!”

His leaves shook as he pleaded, “They’re intending to kill me to make room for a playground; in my last days, I’m only trying to help all trees everywhere.”

Feeling like a real jerk, I ran up to him, wrapped my arms around his trunk, and promised, “I’ll help them.”


Tea Leaf Tales is a series of original ten-sentence short stories by Marsha A. Moore, relating to photos/scenes that resonate with her.

~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. Read her ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS for adventurous epic fantasy romance: Book One, SEEKING A SCRIBE, and Book Two, HERITAGE AVENGED. She has also authored the Ciel's Legacy series, with fast action mermaid/pirate storylines: TEARS ON A TRANQUIL LAKE and TORTUGA TREASURE.  For a FREE ebook download, read her historic fantasy, LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE, available at Amazon and Smashwords.

2 comments:

Sonia G Medeiros said...

I love it! Humorous and sad. I was definitely pulled into the tree's story.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thanks, Sonia! I have lots of fun writing these shorties. It takes some thought to get a contrast of emotions injavascript:void(0) just ten sentences!