blogspot counter

Monday, March 19, 2012

Magical Monday: How can this ugly brass disc cure my infection?

I’ve been battling an unrelenting infection lately.
 
On my third visit to the pharmacy, the clerk rang up my latest antibiotic purchase and pulled a lever under her register. 

I didn’t pay much attention, feeling only well enough to sign the credit slip. 

After glancing over her shoulder at the pharmacist, she leaned across the counter and whispered very low, “Look down at your feet. Take that with you. If these pills don’t work, put this under your bed while you sleep.”

I stooped down and picked up this brass disc, about 24 inches in diameter. As I stood, I asked her how it worked.

“I can’t say more…the pharmacist.” She disappeared into the system of shelves.
Well, after three bouts with the same infection I’d try just about anything, but I do wonder. 

How do you think this will work to make me well? Is it safe? What do you think?

~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. The first of her epic fantasy romance series, ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS, is now available--SEEKING A SCRIBE. She has also authored the Ciel's Legacy series, fantasy romance with fast action mermaid/pirate storylines: TEARS ON A TRANQUIL LAKE and TORTUGA TREASURE.  For a FREE ebook download, read her historic fantasy, LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE, available at Amazon and Smashwords.

12 comments:

Rochelle Weber Author said...

Looks dangerous to me. I wouldn't say an incantations around it. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree with Rochelle...it looks dangerous, like demonic. She gets well and has to pay with her soul kind of thing.
It would all take place when she's dreaming, but would flood into real life.
There, how's that?

Penelope Crowe said...

Looks like an Aztec relic. Greek maybe? Looks scary either way. Yikes. Give it back... Take GSE instead.
http://grapefruitseedextract.org/

Miriam S Pia said...

I think there is a suggestion of magick. I think it exposes the reality that antibiotics are just a tool to facilitate healing in a person. Most medicine is some type of magick. I think it suggests that there is something else going on with the woman.

Here's a counter example: I once had an ailment in Indianapolis. It was unfortunately the type of problem I needed a doctor for. I went. The doctor and I both knew I had. I was given a prescription. I was healed while fully clothed signing out of the office. The paper the prescription was written on and resolving the emotions I had about a personal experience were enough to heal me.

Now, I admit that normally I have to take the medicine if I have been sick.

I think this sets the stage for a good story.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Rochelle and Kay Dee--my husband agrees and is very reluctant about that thing under the bed for fear what odd stuff might rub off on him. My imagination already scares him enough!

Penelope--It does look scary. Maybe it will scare aware the infection beasties, however I suspect there might be a hidden price to the cure.

Miriam--the power of the mind and the imagination, transforming unreal to real is amazing!

Penelope Crowe said...

A second glance makes me think it is Medusa.

Dianna L. Gunn said...

This looks dangerous to me too. That face looks pretty angry. Maybe there's a demon in there.

Of course, it looks pretty old and its magic might all already be used up.

And it might be worth some money...

MM Pollard said...

It kind of looks like Medusa's head with the wavy lines being the snakes.
Is it evil, though? Why would the clerk give you something evil? She could see how miserable you felt. How did she look? Did she have a sinister look in her eyes? What about her tone of voice? She said if these pills don't make you better, so she was giving the pills a chance to work. If she wanted to do harm, why would she let you delay in using the disk?

Sorry, I have more questions than answers. Proceed with caution.

MM

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

It does look a tad creepy. The whole scenario is interesting, tho.

Janet B said...

Hi, before modern medicine (Not that long ago, penicillin was discover in 1928) people used home remedies. Check out
earthclinic.com people recommend different treatments- you need to take and figure out what could work for you.

Best of luck...
Janet
jkbsfsd@msn.com

Marsha A. Moore said...

Penelope and Dianna--the face is creepy and makes me uneasy.

MM--You're right, the behaviors of the clerk are good places to find clues. The only really suspicious thing was she tried to hide her actions from the pharmacist.

Vicki--Thanks! Glad you stopped in.

Janet--True. Modern medicine often walks a fine line with superstition, in our recent past and sometimes yet today.

Janet said...

Not talking about superstition, but natural remedies. Such as zinc shortens colds, Manuka honey can treat skin infections- honey never spoils, eating less sugar equals less inflamation in body=healing better (diabetics heal better when their blood sugar is kept more stable) anyway the power of prayer has also been demonstrated( check out on internet), also if you believe in something, the treatment can work more effectively- placebo effect- your body processes things better-the power of positive thinking means those that believe in that treatment-like cancer therapy, statistically do better. One other thing-you would be amazed- the simple aspect of doing DEEP breaths for a couple minutes several times each day and stretching will make you feel better. It helps keep your lungs air sacs expanded.
Small simple things can help.
Janet