blogspot counter

Friday, October 28, 2011

Romantic Friday Writers__A Ghost's Plea

Romantic Friday Writers is a blog fest every Friday. Many thanks to L'Aussie and Francine Howarth for creating this fun event, showcasing the work of many fine writers. Click on the icon at the end of my post to check out others participating today or join the blog fest. A winner is awarded the recognition of being this week's featured author.

Today's challenge keeps to the ghoulish holiday of Samhain soon approaching. The theme is 'Haunting' in 400 words or less.This scene is from my short story, Sea Glass and Sand Memories. Kate is a young woman vacationing at a resort on Lake Michigan, where she mets Anson, a handsome but strange man. Here he reveals his true identity to her.
~~~

       “My soul is very real, but I am a ghost. Few can see me. Only those whose soul connects to mine.”
       “Mags? Does she see you?”
       “Yes.” Anson lowered his head. “I am her dead son.”
       “Zandra can see you, certainly, but why?”
       “She is a witch and tricked me. Her magic holds me hostage to serve as her boyfriend, lover, and servant. She is cruel and mistreats me. I loathe her, but am trapped. I cannot leave the property. Mom tolerates her in order to have me near.” He clenched his fists.
       “To see me possess the amulet on that umbrella’s chain enraged her. What does it indicate?”
       “It’s one of my only means of magic. It should allow me to be welcome to enter the locked quarters of whom-ever possesses it. But, she cast a spell, limiting its power to within the walls of this building.”
        Understanding swept through my mind and I sat upright. “That’s why the plumbing in the room I booked in the main house suddenly broke, even though the fittings were brand new. You did that to make sure I stayed in this apartment. Right?”
        “Yes, that’s true.”
        “Why?”
        “I need you to help me break her black magic so I can be free. Will you help me, Kate?”
        “Umm, I don’t know. I just don’t know. I’m shocked. Let me think.”
        “Of course. Sleep on it for the rest of the night. We can talk more tomorrow.” He picked up my hand. His skin felt cooler than mine. “Thank you for listening.”
        I gazed into his dark eyes and felt my soul swimming. He was right; we were connected.
        He leaned closer and with his other hand cradled my head.
        I felt electricity as his lips approached mine. In his kiss I saw horrors, the tragedy of his death, drowning on this coast after he swam into a rip current. Zandra stood on the dock, life preserver in hand, laughing. Mags ran out, screaming, but too late. She jumped into the surf. Her ankle broke as the tide slapped her against the rocks; it never healed right and gave her that limp. I pulled away, unable to view more. “No more, please.”
       “I promise all our kisses will be happy ones from this moment on.” He smiled.
       As he vanished I saw a tear roll down his cheek, and my throat clenched in pain.

WC =401
NCCO/No Critiques, Comments Only

~ ~ ~
Marsha A. Moore is a writer of fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into her writing. She is the author of the novel, TEARS ON A TRANQUIL LAKE, the first in a trilogy. Part two, TORTUGA TREASURE is contracted for release in January, 2012. Look for her first of an epic fantasy romance series, SEEKING A SCRIBE: ENCHANTED BOOKSTORE LEGENDS ONE, to be available early 2012.
Share

14 comments:

Denise Covey said...

Hi Marsha. I'm so glad you took the time out to post an extract from your
short story. I had to read it through twice to capture all the nuances. The romance is there, yet to be fulfilled. Now that Zandra sounds like a piece of work...

A great story extract for Haunting.

Denise

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

I've read a snippet from SeaG and SandM before, and loved it then.

This is quite appropriate for "Haunting" in that Kate has seen Mags when no one else can. It's a strange connection that exists between them, but I'm going to find out what develops because I'm going to buy the story! ;)

Hope everything is going as best as can be given that life has thrown you a testing time. And, I trust your mum is well if not always connected. Chin up, writing is always a writer's best escape pod if only for brief moments.

best
F

N. R. Williams said...

Poor guy, a ghost that is trapped by an evil witch and a flesh and blood woman who will probably struggle to free him. This is well written and intriguing. I'd love to read more.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium

dolorah said...

A heart wrenching kiss. such a sad story. Poor guy; trapped in the house as a ghost lover. This sounds like a marvelous story. Thanks for sharing it.

.......dhole

The Poet said...

Hello.
Such a sad & tragic story, but engaging at the same time. That Zandra is definitely up there in the wicked witch stakes. Nice bit of romance & intrigue at the end.

Wonderful excerpt.

This Unknown Spirit

Unknown said...

Dear Marsha,
This is a wonderful excerpt that makes me want to read more. Perfect for the challenge!

I don't think I'll have time to participate in NaNoWriMo in November, as much as I would love to do it. I have an essay to write that I have put off long enough.

Hope things work out for you so that you can find balance between the time you must spend on your family obligations and time for you to do some things for yourself, such as writing.

Hope to read more of your texts in December!

Best wishes,
Anna

Unknown said...

Hello again!
Forgot to leave my little link!
Anna
Anna's RFWers' Challenge No. 25 - 'Haunting'

Adura Ojo said...

An intriguing story you've got, Marsha. I enjoyed reading it and the haunting/romance elements fitted in so well too. Would love to read more about these two!

All the best and take care.

Anonymous said...

A ghost trapped by an evil witch and the flesh and blood love interest is a great take on the spooky theme.

Kiru Taye said...

I felt the melancholy and pain in this snippet. You really captured his torture well and intrigued me. Now I want to read more.

Deniz Bevan said...

Love the wording of his promise. I so want these two to be together!

Denise Covey said...

Hi Marsha!
I hope your mother and you are okay. Just a reminder when you have a minute that you'll need to refollow us at our new RFWer site so you can keep in touch with out news!

http://romanticfridaywriters.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Denise <3

Unknown said...

Dear Marsha,
I've just read your comment on the REW's linky page. My heart goes out to you. I'm praying for you.
I'm sure everyone else connected to this challenge is thinking of you too.
So come back and visit whenever you can. Take all the time you need.

I hope you can get good help with this.
Blessings
Anna
Anna's RFWers' Challenge No. 25 - 'Haunting'

Unknown said...

Very haloweeny! I like the description of all that she sees when she kisses him.

Very sorry to hear about your mother. Good luck!