blogspot counter

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Alternative Read Author Blog Hop: June 9

Today’s question is: Define a cliffhanger in your own words and tell what it means to your writing.


A cliffhanger is a feature in the storyline that pauses the prose just when the reader is at an overeager state, wanting to know what comes next. 


I think it’s a great device to get someone to turn the page and to hold their attention from one chapter to the next, or one book to the next in a series. This is one of my favorite devices to employ. I won’t end a chapter unless I can find a cliffhanger. Some may be stronger than others, but I look to create that experience for the reader every time. Members of my local critique group are certainly tired of hearing me rant about the importance of ending a chapter with a draw into the next. Without it, the writing feels flat or bland.

 Please be sure to check the other great posts in today’s blog hop by clicking on the logo below.


Share


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marsha!

Welcome to the Hop! It's great to have you here. I loved your post, looks like you really enjoyed this question, too. I did. :)

Cliffhangers certianly spice up the work!

Here I am dangling on the cliff's edge - just like your funny guy in the pic! Hope to see you there!

Hugs,

Angel
X

Roseanne Dowell said...

It's definitely important to make the reader want to turn that page to the next chapter. Cliff hangers don't always have to stand out. Sometimes they can be subtle hints. I enjoyed your answer.

Viviane Brentanos said...

Intelligent answer, as always.

Anonymous said...

Nice post! I'm still working on those cliffhangers in my own writing. (That guy in the picture doesn't fall, does he? I'm worried.)