blogspot counter

Monday, January 3, 2011

Magical Monday: lunar eclipse home photos

This week’s Magical Monday revisits the lunar eclipse from the night of December 21st. 

During our celebration my husband, Steve, took photos I’d like to share. It was an unusually cold night here south of Tampa, about 40 degrees, but the skies were perfectly clear, allowing some good opportunities for photos. However, even with a tripod, the long exposure made focusing and avoiding slight camera shake difficult.



The early hours of the eclipse with the Earth’s shadow just beginning to pass over the moon:

 





Total eclipse gave a pink-orange glow. The color was caused by the sun’s rays passing the sides of the Earth, through our planet’s atmosphere and refracting in those gases, to bend as orange wavelengths onto the moon’s surface. Those reflected to us, hence the observation of the eerie orange moon. Science aside…quite a magical site!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish I'd been able to see it with my own eyes. Yet, it was probably clearer in your photos then what I may have been able to see up in North Dakota.

Beautiful photos!

Kelly Borgen
kelly.borgen@yahoo.com

Marsha A. Moore said...

Unfortunately a lot of the US was under cloud cover, especially the Midwest.

Kelly, glad you enjoyed the photos and thanks for stopping by.

Maeve Greyson said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them. :)

Roseanne Dowell said...

absolutely awesome pictures. I wish I would have seen it. What a great thing to witness.

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos, Marsha. I didn't know about the eclipse until it was too late. I know, awful of me. Too much going on. Thanks for the photos.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thanks for visiting and enjoying our photos,ladies! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting these. The skies were too cloudy in Vancouver,B.C. to see anything so my telescope went unused. It's so cool to get to see it.

Unknown said...

Awesome Marsha. Your husband must know photography. I don't how to get the lighting just right to catch those perfect photos of the surreal orange moon. Thanks for sharing, Lori

Heather Haven said...

The weather was not clear in San Jose that night, Marsha, so I am very glad you've shared these photos. Please thank your husband for me, as well. Happy New Year.

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I'll be sure to pass them along to my husband, the photographer.

Miriam Newman said...

Awesome photos, Marsha. Thanks for sharing! I couldn't see it here and was so disappointed. This helps a little!

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thanks, Miriam. Glad it helped! My husband's getting the big head with all these kind comments. :)